Monday, March 19, 2012

Freaking Out and Fellowship.

I bought 120 stamps the other day (that's not cheap, folks) to mail out fundraising letters for my summer mission trip to the Philippines. As I was at the cashier's, he asked me, "Are you graduating?" I replied that I was, and he congratulated me. But it wasn't until I had my stamps in hand and was walking out of King Sooper's that I realized why he had mentioned graduation. A college student buying six books of stamps = graduation announcements. Yikes.

That means I'm graduating soon (two months to be exact) and I have yet to think about announcements, regalia, grad parties, and whatever else comes with this momentous occasion. I am now finally beginning to freak out.

People have been asking me left and right how I feel about graduation coming up so soon, and everytime they ask, I respond that I'm doing okay, that I'm excited and it's really not that big of a deal. But now that it's coming up, it's finally beginning to sink in.

My close friends are all juniors and sophomores, so it's easy for me to lose sight of graduation because it's not common conversation. We're not on the same page academically anymore because I'm the only one in my circle of friends wrestling with this thought of moving on. It's easy to feel lost, frustrated and alone when you're not surrounded by people who are going through the same experiences with you, who are there to encourage you and support you, because they themselves need the same encouragement and support.

I've realized the same thing about Christian fellowship. If you don't constantly surround yourself with others who are going through similar experiences with you -- similar hardships, similar doubts, similar struggles -- you're going to get lost. RELEVANT Magazine posted an article that investigates this topic on a deeper level. I recommend checking it out.

Don't let yourself become lost. Find people who are also freaking out about similar things, and then keep each other accountable to trust God with those things.

1 comment:

  1. I also am graduating in May and am freaking out about everything! I can't believe that it is already approaching! Luckily for me, many of my friends are also graduating so it is nice to talk about graduation and get other people's input on the matter.

    I read the magazine article that you posted and found it very interesting. I think that having that community feeling is very important because you are able to discuss various topics that are relevant to the group, and when you surround yourself with people that don't have topics in common, conversations can be difficult and you can lose your way.

    I am not a very religious person (because I was not raised in a religious household) but recently I have been reading passages from the Bible because I have had the feeling of being lost.

    Graduation is a scary but also exciting time in both our lives, and it is the beginning to a new chapter! I look forward to experiencing new things and finding my way.

    If you need anyone to talk to about graduation, I am here for you!! Good luck with everything!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete