Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Reality of Discipleship

Friday was the last Nav Night of the semester, and that means it was also the last Nav Night, period, for some of our graduating class as we celebrated Senior Night. After some worship, Jim Rinella asked the graduating seniors to come down to the front of the room and tell the rest of the students what's next for them. He said this was probably the largest senior class they have had in years as 24 seniors shared their post-graduate plans. Some students had plans set in stone (well, as set in stone as you can make them when God is sovereign over man's plans), and some had several ideas of what they could be doing next, ranging from short-term to long-term, this upcoming summer to a few years down the road.

When the last senior in line shared, the junior class was called down to pray over the seniors and send them off. As one of those seniors this semester, I can tell you it's a clash of emotions -- of deep heartbreak and incredible encouragement all at once -- as you stand embraced by the people you have poured your life into, the people you have walked so closely beside, and developed such strong bonds with.

When I was a freshman, I felt strange, thinking I should feel sad, and trying to force tears in some capacity, but not being able to because I simply had no attachment to these people leaving. As a sophomore, I remember not understanding these bonds but feeling something stir inside me, knowing I would be up there praying over the seniors the following year.

Once you're called down to the front of the room as a junior or senior, you understand. I knew what discipleship was, and I had been both the discipler and disciple over the years, but it wasn't until I prayed over the people who so impacted me and had the people I had impacted pray over me that my heart knew and understood discipleship was real. It wasn't until I was standing at the front, as we were sharing what we thought the future might hold, that I looked into the faces of the people I had invested my life into, who meant so much to me, and whom I knew I had encouraged to some extent that I honestly believed this discipleship thing works. It's real. It's powerful. It's God-honoring. And it is oh-so-fulfilling.

Congrats to all the graduating seniors as you move on to new pastures as the Good Shepherd leads! Here's some good soul food for the road. And to those who have the privilege of remaining in this pasture of college life a little while longer -- chase the opportunities God gives you, embrace the people around you, and abide in His love always.

Photo Courtesy of Jeanne Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment