Thursday, February 9, 2012

Kylie Bisutti Quits Victoria's Secret for Christian Convictions

I stumbled across this news article tonight about Kylie Bisutti, a former Victoria's Secret model. It's crazy to think she's about my age, this young woman who has the same faith I have, but who has been living life on a completely different side of the spectrum -- or so many Christians would think.

It reminds me of the whole "I'd rather have a Proverbs 31 woman than a Victoria's Secret model" topic, which I commented on last week. Here is this woman who has faith in Jesus, but was a Victoria's Secret model at the same time. I'm not condoning her initial decision to be a VS model, but that faith was there. Did being a VS model make her a Proverbs 31 woman? No. Does not being a VS model now make her a Proverbs 31 woman? No.

The Proverbs 31 woman is not real. This former Victoria's Secret model is real, and was no less so when she was still a Victoria's Secret model.

[Looking back on my previous post about the whole Proverbs 31 Woman/Victoria's Secret Model topic, I realize that it might come across that I am anti-Live31. I'm not. I just don't like the slogan that accompanies it, the comparison to a VS model. That's mostly what I think is unhealthy; I don't believe it's the best or necessary approach. As far as Live31 goes, I don't have much against it -- as long as we remember not to measure ourselves by the literal Proverbs 31 woman and remember that Christ is the real standard, not this wife of noble character that no one can find (see Proverbs 31:10).)]

We can't categorize this young woman no more than we can categorize any woman. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, she is a woman living in light of God's grace every day, learning more of His heart and what He desires for her. Additionally, she is a woman who is absolutely beautiful on the outside -- and by the standards of this world -- as well as a woman pursuing God, which makes her beautiful on the inside. So it looks like Kylie fits both "standards" of the Proverbs 31 woman/Victoria's Secret model comparison.

I'm happy for her and the decision she's made -- she's got more conviction than so many of us.

For her interview on Good Morning America, watch here.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. We need to be careful with slogans, 'isms, labels, cliches (especially Christian ones), and flesh to flesh comparisons. Christ is the only standard, all else is flawed until that day. That is not to say that we need to discount the wisdom of Proverbs 31 or any other scripture verses (which is easy to do when they have been diminished to mere slogans). We need to view them in the right context, freed from the law, under God's great grace, continually asking God to help us to understand and to love His ways, and to live in gratitude of His awesome mercies and faithfulness to preserve us blameless until the end, because of Christ's merit, not ours. Wow, that's a mouthful. Good to meet you via the Jailer. :-)

    ReplyDelete